In this article:
Benefits of charcoal facemask
Charcoal is a natural detoxifier. By nature it acts like a sponge removing dead cells, toxins from the skin surface, and gets rid of blackheads. It removes dirt from within the pores, making way for your pores to tighten and become smaller, while also allowing your skincare products to sink into the skin properly, without being blocked by dirt.
Charcoal has a lot of benefits on the skin which is why it is mostly used in beauty products. The good thing here is you can get all these amazing benefits from just regular store bought charcoal or if you have charcoal sitting around at home.
This natural cleansing agent can help you keep skin conditions at bay if integrated properly into your skincare routine. It is perfect for those who tend to struggle with acne, oily skin or blackheads.
It is important to note that charcoal can and will stain your clothes if you spill. So apply your facemask carefully, best over a bathroom sink. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
How many times should I apply a charcoal face mask?
Doing the charcoal face mask regularly will ensure that your pores will not have dirt buildup. The cleansing power in charcoal is amazing.it eliminates toxins and leaves your skin feeling fresh. Doing a charcoal facemask 1-2 times a week is ideal. However, if you have really sensitive skin, you need to be mindful. If you’re not sure what skin type you have, you can read up on sensitive skin type to clarify.
As much as charcoal detoxifies and cleanses the skin, it can also be really drying. It’s super power is it extracts everything from your skin, all the bad stuff and the good stuff (your skin oil & moisture). It is always recommended to go in with hydrating and moisturizing products immediately after rinsing off the charcoal mask. This way the oil and moisture lost, will be restored on a more clean skin. Get the skincare guide to learn about each skincare step and it’s benefits. This will help you build a befitting skin regimen for your skin type.
For sensitive skin, it is advised to not let the charcoal mask dry up completely on the skin. Once you notice it drying up, rinse off. Make sure you rinse with enough water, let the water wash it off. Do not rub vigorously.
6 DIY charcoal face mask recipes
Here are 6 DIY charcoal face mask recipes you can easily make at home and will make all the difference in your skincare routine.
Charcoal face mask for oily skin
We will start off with an easy one that is especially helpful if you have oily skin. If you are not sure of your skin type, read about oily skin here.
- 1 tablespoon clay
- A tablespoon charcoal
- 1 probiotic capsule (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- A drop essential oil for acne
- Combine activated charcoal, clay, and probiotic powder in a small bowl.
- Add the ACV to make a paste. Use as much to make a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Add a drop or 2 drops of essential oil and stir.
- With clean fingers, spread over the face and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and continue with your skincare steps.
Skin tightening charcoal mask
- 1 egg white
- Half tablespoon charcoal
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Beat the egg white with a fork or whisk until fluffy
- Add in the charcoal and lemon juice.
- Mix properly into a consistent paste. (add water if needed, to get the right consistency)
- Apply the paste to your face or just your t-zone area if your skin is really dry.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off the mask with warm water.
*Not sure you have dry skin, read about dry skin here. It is essential to know your skin type because it allows you to make the best decision for your skin. Not everything works for every skin type. You need to establish what works for you.
Charcoal face mask for black heads
Kiss your blackheads goodbye with this amazing charcoal recipe. It is very important that you are not using any metal utensils or containers to mix or store the ingredients – the bentonite clay will absorb the metals and become less effective.
- 1/2 teaspoon Activated Charcoal
- Half a teaspoon Bentonite Clay
- 1/4 teaspoon Coconut Oil, melted or very soft
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- A teaspoon Water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small bowl or container using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Add in the water.
- Add in your coconut oil.
- Mix well, to get a spreadable consistency.
- Apply the mask to your face.
- Leave the mask on for about 10 minutes, then wash it off with warm water and a soft cloth.
DIY charcoal face mask for acne
Aloe Vera has always been used for its anti-inflammatory benefits and healing benefits. Coupled with the detox benefits of charcoal, this face mask recipe will cleanse and heal your skin at the same time.
- 1 tablespoon Activated charcoal
- 1 tablespoon Aloe vera gel
- A drop of tea tree oil
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl, and use your finger to mix them together before applying to the skin.
- In circular motions, work the charcoal mixture around your face for 1 minute (don’t do this if you have active acne at the moment, just apply and leave it).
- Let the mask sit for 10–15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Then continue as you would with your skincare routine
Soothing charcoal facemask for sensitive skin
I have already mentioned you need to be mindful of using charcoal if you have sensitive skin. I also explained the work around it. Charcoal has tons of benefits that you would not want to miss out on, even if you are someone with sensitive skin. So here is a recipe for you, that will work well with your sensitive skin and not aggravate it.
- 1–2 tablespoons raw honey
- A teaspoon matcha powder
- 1–2 tablespoon activated charcoal
Honey has been used for decades for its healing, medicinal benefits, both topically and when ingested. Research shows, It has been used for treatment of wounds, skin rashes, and as a moisturizer and hydrating cream. If you want to find more recipes for honey face masks, click here.
- Add the honey to a small bowl,
- Add in the matcha and charcoal powders.
- Stir properly till you make a consistent paste.
- With clean fingers, spread over the face and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and continue as you would with your skincare routine.
Skin brightening charcoal face mask
Yogurt has skin lightening benefits that help even out skin tone with continuous use. It contains lactic acid which helps break down dead cells, and any scarring you may have (acne hyperpigmentation included). This leaves you with a radiant glow after each use.
- 1-2 tablespoons of plain, unflavored Greek yogurt, preferably organic and full fat
- 1–2 activated charcoal
- 1–2 teaspoons of raw honey (optional)
- Mix together with a wooden spoon until you get a creamy paste.
- Apply generously to your face and neck
- Leave for 10 – 15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
If you don’t have a skincare routine yet, I suggest you download this free skincare guide. It helps you build the appropriate skincare routine. It guides you on each skincare step and explains what products you really need in your skincare and which would be a nice addition. Definitely get yours today.
How long will your homemade face mask last?
Homemade DIYskincare recipes are often ones I would always recommend refrigerating after use. There are usually no added preservatives which is very good for the skin, but it also means it can go bad easily. Store in an airtight container or jar and keep it in the fridge for a maximum of 3 weeks.
Anything past that, I would highly recommend making a new batch. Read more, on skincare products you need to be keeping in the refrigerator.
Let me know if you have tried any of these DIY charcoal recipes in the comments below!